The flu season is just getting started. It is important to take steps to care for yourself and that includes regular exercise! While it's chilly outside, biking might not be your first choice, but with proper attire and prep, biking is a great option for staying healthy this winter. Here are some Blix electric bike tips to fighting off illness and making time for self-care!
Tips for staying healthy:
- Keep a consistent exercise schedule, even if your workouts are shorter or less intense. This ensures continued fitness, which is one of the best ways to keep your immune system on par! Plus, the more you exerise, the more germ fighting power you have according to the Journal of Applied Physiology.
- Continue to commute on your Blix during the cold weather, even if you cut it down to only once or twice per week. This will help your muscles stay engaged and your red blood cells flowing!
- Go for a ride if you start feeling stressed. Stress has a HUGE impact on our immune system and can make you more susceptible to getting sick.
- Make good use of the rare sunny days! Spending time outside on your Blix is a great way to get some much needed vitamin D during the winter. This is important for your immune system and mental health.
- Don't let the early darkness get you down. When you start to feel the effects of seasonal depression, find an activity that makes you smile like going for a ride with friends, your partner, or even by yourself!
- Take precaution by wearing extra layers to keep you warm and avoid staying wet after your ride to help your body fight off pending infections.
- If you have a stuffy nose, but no fever, take an easy ride around town to "help push your white blood cells out of the lymph tissue and into circulation where they can seek out and destroy invading bacteria and viruses. It also may open your nasal passages and provide a little temporary relief from your congestion thanks to epinephrine, which is a natural decongestant." (Bicycling.com)
- Listen to your body and take a rest day when needed. Don't feel obligated to go on your weekend ebike ride with friends if you feel run-down. Rest is the best medicine!
- Wash your hands as much as possible. Wipe down your handlebars for extra protection.
- Start slow and work your way up to the same distance or intensity of rides before the weather got too cold to ride all the time. If you push yourself too hard, too fast, your body can become overtired and weaken its response to infections!
Let's have a healthy and fit winter! Share with us how you stay healthy and active during the colder months.
Check out the Blix Winter Riding Guide here!
Check out how an ebike helps you keep your New Year's resolutions here!
Blix Owners Group